Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fixing criminal damage - mirrors
Last night both wing mirrors on my M49 were smashed off in an act of criminal damage.  One of the wiper arms was also bent and there's a superficial scratch on the bonnet.  I know who did it and the police have been informed, though as I'm currently lacking non-circumstantial evidence they won't do anything.

Anyway, I'm wondering what is the best route for rectifying the damage?  As can be seen, the metal mounting point has been snapped off, not just plastic bits.

Work van:     2020 1.5 BlueHDi 100 Enterprise Berlingo
Spare van:    2001 1.9 600d Berlingo
It looks unrepairable try a scrappy ? or main dealer for a new one.

If the culprit is paying then take the main dealer route or cut your losses and try a scrapyard
2020 Rifter 1.5 allure
2010 B9 red XTR w a v. 
2001 1.9d DW8B white  Berlingo  
2005 2.l green Berlingo
2001 1.9d DW8B white  Berlingo 
berlingo 1.4 red multispace
1993 xud 1.9 red partner
Thanks.  I was guessing it was unrepairable.  If I buy a new one, will it come with its own mounting and is it simple to swap the whole assembly?  I've not fitted door mirrors before so I don't know which bits are easy to replace - looking at the damage, I was concerned that even a brand new mirror won't fit onto the knackered metal of the mounting area.
In the past, the visit of the Mirror Fairy was a near monthly tedium.

Addition of a mercury tilt switch,
battery & detonator will ease identification of the next miscreant.

Hint, they will be missing a foot.
200,500 miles,  (Resurrected at 186,000)
Do you have a ballet school for vandals nearby?
I'd rupture myself trying to kick off a Berlingo mirror!
200,500 miles,  (Resurrected at 186,000)
(06-04-2023, 11:11 AM)smutts Wrote:  Do you have a ballet school for vandals nearby?
I'd rupture myself trying to kick off a Berlingo mirror!

I think they might have stood on the bonnet and kicked downwards - the bonnet is scratched in a manner that would match someone standing on it. Also this might explain why the wiper arm was raised off the windscreen - I previously thought they'd bent that too, but it actually seems unharmed, so they might have raised it up just to steady themselves while they kicked.

Other neighbours agree on the likely suspect - someone who tends to aggressively object to people parking in front of their property frontage, and who has had 2 planning applications refused by the council (and objected to by several neighbours).

In my head I've imagined several ways of achieving justice in case it happens again, including this method:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1Ug4I89c98
But though that might be satisfying on one level, it's probably not the best route to go down, lol.
Mirror comes with triangular plate. Only 3 setscrews hold it on. Easy to fit and find in breakers from my experience. I guess that's one constellation,. Could have cost hundreds to repair if a modern car with self folding mirrors and built in indicators. As for the perpetrator., maybe if you highly wax polish the bonnet he'll face plant the roof and knock his teeth out next time.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Kieron G for this post:
  • notsofast
(06-04-2023, 09:02 AM)notsofast Wrote:  Last night both wing mirrors on my M49 were smashed off in an act of criminal damage.  One of the wiper arms was also bent and there's a superficial scratch on the bonnet.  I know who did it and the police have been informed, though as I'm currently lacking non-circumstantial evidence they won't do anything.

Anyway, I'm wondering what is the best route for rectifying the damage?  As can be seen, the metal mounting point has been snapped off, not just plastic bits.

The police wouldn't do anything if you had video of him doing it, too much trouble to get out of their cars. Angry
So where does this bit go then ?
(07-04-2023, 09:36 AM)ffrenchie Wrote:  
(06-04-2023, 09:02 AM)notsofast Wrote:  Last night both wing mirrors on my M49 were smashed off in an act of criminal damage.  One of the wiper arms was also bent and there's a superficial scratch on the bonnet.  I know who did it and the police have been informed, though as I'm currently lacking non-circumstantial evidence they won't do anything.

The police wouldn't do anything if you had video of him doing it, too much trouble to get out of their cars. Angry

sounds like you have the romanian police in uk, maybe romanian police it's like a virus and it's spreading everywhere..
Peugeot Partner Tepee 1.6 BlueHDI 100, year 2017
If you like gaming visit GameForest
So I've been looking for replacement mirrors and there's a choice between brand new ones sourced from a local independent garage, priced at £102 each and available within a couple of days, or 2nd-hand from local scrapyards, priced at £20-£30 each and available at some point in the future when they get a Berlingo in the yards.  However there are ads like this on ebay, which claim to have brand new ones at about £25 each. I've never used ebay and, though the sellers like this have good feedback, I'm suspicious of the price. Is it likely to be rubbish quality, made in China or somewhere similar?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272579503731?...BMqo-MwPJh