Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Condensation issue
Remember the old principle that air needs both an inlet route and and an outlet route before it can circulate efficiently.
Try blowing into a tube while holding your hand over the other end and you'll see what I mean. Remove your hand and blowing is easy.
That's why i like to have an opening at both ends of my camper. Just leaving one window open a crack at night will not do anywhere near as much good.
Gravity
You not only need holes at both ends, but you also need to consider where that air moves.
Take a look at modern 'tunnel' tents for example. Air is let in through an opening high up at one end, but the other end is usually closed. Most of the air is therefore forced along the inside of the outer fabric, down and out along the bottom edge, pulling most of the moist air with it before it can deposit on the fabric.

keeping the drivers and passenger door windows slightly open(air in high) and the rear door(top hinged) also slightly open will give a similar result.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Gadgetman for this post:
  • Art b
I do have an idea of using small ultra quiet PC fans running of a battery bank to help move the air around a bit.
If small openings are made at opposite sides or ends of the camper, this is usually all that's needed, because however you park, one side or end of the van will be in the lee of the breeze while the opposite side/end will be getting the wind pressure. This is normally true even if there is hardly any discernible breeze.
It's this pressure differential that will change the air in the vehicle and help remove accrued moisture.

Obviously if the van gets too cold then you're going to close one or more openings - and get more condensation as a result. As has been said, if you have an ehu facility on a site, then heat will help. I have a small frost heater meant for a greenhouse, only about 600 watts, but it's 240 volt so can only be used on site with ehu. So far I've not used it because I believe in keeping the occupants warm rather than trying to heat the space around them, which only disguises the condensation problem.

Running the car heater as you drive while keeping windows cracked open will help dissipate moisture within the vehicle and leave all the bedding and seats dryer for the next night's camping.
Gravity
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Gravity for this post:
  • Art b
Hj, I have question about back side windows. Do you use them for ventilation too, or they are unusbale for this purpose? Thank you.
(14-10-2018, 06:09 PM)Dengieken Wrote:  I use plastic wind deflectors as used by others plus a very small 12 volt fan fitted into the partially open passenger window gap. The fan is fairly quiet & takes very little power. It reduces condensation significantly. I also leave one of the disposable dehumidifier pots inside the car & this clears residual moisture. If I’m staying on a site with electric hook up in winter I use a small electric fan heater overnight to keep toasty.

For those that are thinking of the  wind deflectors there easy to fit, but when first fitted leave 12 hours for tape to grab hold, fitted them to my last 3 cars, I also leave the front windows say 1/2 inch open on hot sunny days, it does help to keep the temprature slightly lower when the car is locked, no one can realey see there open. when driving it does quiten the wind noise.
Your Reach is further than your Grasp
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to jtr rhyl for this post:
  • Art b
(25-04-2019, 03:37 PM)jtr rhyl Wrote:  
(14-10-2018, 06:09 PM)Dengieken Wrote:  I use plastic wind deflectors as used by others plus a very small 12 volt fan fitted into the partially open passenger window gap. The fan is fairly quiet & takes very little power. It reduces condensation significantly. I also leave one of the disposable dehumidifier pots inside the car & this clears residual moisture. If I’m staying on a site with electric hook up in winter I use a small electric fan heater overnight to keep toasty.

For those that are thinking of the  wind deflectors there easy to fit, but when first fitted leave 12 hours for tape to grab hold, fitted them to my last 3 cars, I also leave the front windows say 1/2 inch open on hot sunny days, it does help to keep the temprature slightly lower when the car is locked, no one can realey see there open. when driving it does quiten the wind noise.

Where are they available from..?

2004 ,1.9d Berlingo Multispace.
called Brian... Smile
Ebay about £28 for fromt doors. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-BERLI...Swv0tVTPjl
Your Reach is further than your Grasp
Team Heko ones seem to get the best reviews, mine are fab!