Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Berlingo written off... what next?
So last week my beloved blue Berlingo (2.0 hdi 2004 120k) got smashed up by another driver and I’m left Berlingo-less! Heartbroken!  The insurance are only paying me £1000 so after going to a generic car supermarket today and sitting picasso’s and other smaller mpv’s It’s got to be a Berlingo (or a Partner). However I have a few questions, my car was a high mileage non dpf Berlingo, and I’m nervous about getting a newer one as I accept it’ll have a dpf, we had a terrible time with an 07 Astra’s dpf with bills running into thousands.

Is there any specific model or year to avoid, I know dpfs have gotten better over time. 
Is the 1.6hdi as good as the 2.0, I’ve read mixed reviews?
Is it as rugged as it’s predecessor? Mine was regularly driven over rough terrain. 

I use my car for commuting half my working week (3 miles)
Day off stuff (50miles plus usually)
Camping holidays, mountainbiking, carting my 9ft surfboard around and car booting.

I’ve been looking at 08-12 plates as that’s all what my budget allows. I really like the xtr and the Partner Outdoor.
My 08 1.6hdi has no dpf and has been almost fault free. Both drop glass mechanisms broke up and a nsf wheel bearing. But thats it otherwise fault free.
I have a 2008 M59 1.6 without DPF & also the NSF wheel bearing will need to be replaced before too long, but overall it's been very reliable.
I sold my 2.0 last year and found that the 1.6 goes better than the 2.0, has better economy but is otherwise mostly the same car. 1.6 engines have a reputation for eating turbos which is down to bad servicing from what I can make out. Personally, I'd think really hard before buying a 1.6 with a new turbo, plenty to read on that subject if you're interested.
There are newer early B9's without a DPF, a quick check around the front of the turbo and checking the VIN will tell. There are a few posts on here explaining how to check if there's a DPF from the VIN.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to cancunia for this post:
  • dentone
I’m looking at a B9 Berlingo online at the moment, Ive found the thread about the Vin really helpful thank you!! I think Im leaning toward a B9 as without the modutop roof there was a lot more room and my god my old got hot in summer!
I was originally looking for a B9 but then came across the M59 at a good price. Mine has the modutop but also AC. It's a bit of a mixed blessing as the storage space is handy but it does restrict space. Nice to be able to stare up at the stars too.
Could you not get old car repaired? Our 2003 multispace was written off recently for damaged rear bumper. Still driving it.
Sadly the damage was massive, I was hit almost head on by an elderly man in an automatic who took the drivers side wheel, panel and bumper out. He also totally smashed his brand new fiesta up ☹️. Still waiting on the insurance to decide liability but they paid me a whopping £1k for my Berlingo. Gutted as I had no intentions of getting rid of it really...
(07-05-2019, 02:07 PM)dentone Wrote:  Sadly the damage was massive, I was hit almost head on by an elderly man in an automatic who took the drivers side wheel, panel and bumper out. He also totally smashed his brand new fiesta up ☹️. Still waiting on the insurance to decide liability but they paid me a whopping £1k for my Berlingo. Gutted as I had no intentions of getting rid of it really...

Shame. I feel your pain.
Just put a deposit on a 60 plate B9 XTR. Needs a bit of bodywork love but feels loads bigger than my old one! Smile
How's it going with the B9? It would be interesting to know your thoughts on this one vs the previous M59.