Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front door rattle
Hello,

Just thought I'd quickly share a solution to a particular door rattle.

The last week or so, I was getting a loud and highly annoying rattle from inside the driver side front door.

Interestingly, the rattle would only evidence itself when the window was fully closed. Opening the window stopped the rattle. A little googling and looking on here suggested it may be something to do with the window regulator. Turned out this was right - and it's easy to fix.

All you need to do is:
  1. Prise off door handle trim with flat head screwdriver.
  2. Remove 2x torx screws under the trim
  3. Prise off cover over wing mirror motor connections
  4. Remove the three torx screws in the door trim
  5. Work your way round edge of door trim to prise outwards - releasing from plastic trim holders. This takes a bit of courage...
  6. Once door trim is off you'll see a white covering which is held on with adhesive.
  7. Near the speaker at the bottom, gently pull covering away to reveal bolt that holds regulator (I think there are four such bolts). Tighten and repeat for any of the other bolts. On mine, it was the bolt at the bottom closest to the speaker that was quite loose.
  8. Press covering back on.
  9. Push trim back on - it just pushes on.
  10. Put torx screws back in
  11. Enjoy a rattle free Berlingo *
* I don't think there is such a thing  Tongue
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to timb for this post:
  • Al Jones, doofer
I did this intervention on my PUG not very long ago. In my case it was a 10mm nut that holds the window motor support to the door that had gotten loose, and was rattling.

The procedure is exactly as described above.

I recommend to be careful with the Styrofoam white weather cover that is held with adhesive, under the door trim. And I also bought some of these plastic trim holders, sot that if one broke, I had others to replace. This way, bruit force instead of courage could be applied, and the trim came out nicely, only breaking 2 or 3 of these plastic trim holders.

Sorry for the german web site, but this is where I found the trim holders:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/181585486725?_trk...EBIDX%3AIT

OEM reference 9341PF
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Luis Rosa for this post:
  • doofer
(14-09-2016, 07:46 AM)doofer Wrote:  I'm stuck at step 1.  How do you get the door handle off?!

with a screwdriver (small tip) gently prise out the handle cover. It is similar to this image:

https://www.locksonline.co.uk/resources/...ingo03.JPG

inside you will find the two torx screws.

Cheers.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Luis Rosa for this post:
  • doofer
(13-09-2016, 02:46 PM)doofer Wrote:  Thanks very much for taking the time to write this.  Mine has exactly the same symptoms, and has since brand new, so I'll follow your guide and hopefully get rid of my last rattle.

The dealer had a try and achieved nothing.  I think they re-seated the little window next to the mirror - they were obviously looking in the wrong place.

This seems to be a very common fault with the driver's door. Perhaps it's because that door gets used most.  My rattle developed after a few months from new and someone on this forum said it was the window regulator. Armed with this info I made a claim under warranty. The dealer was reluctant to accept the diagnosis from the forum, but eventually admitted it was correct. They had to re-fit the door trim again when I noticed a few months later that it was loose at the bottom.  I've got another 6 months of a 3 year warranty left so am hoping any problems will arise before it expires.
I've had 15 cars and vans over the past 50 years, including some top spec Volvo estates, but this Berlingo 2014 VTR auto is by far the best.
Well in my case it was the passenger side door, but my Peugeot has the steering wheel on the left Smile so in the end, it was the same door you guys describe here...
Smile 
(14-09-2016, 01:48 PM)doofer Wrote:  Mine's the right side door too.  I reckon the torque wrench they have in this position on the production line must be reading too high, so it stops before tightening it and they all go out with loose right-side window regulators.  I thought I was joking, but this could actually be the cause!

exactly my thought... Smile
(14-09-2016, 01:48 PM)doofer Wrote:  Mine's the right side door too.  I reckon the torque wrench they have in this position on the production line must be reading too high, so it stops before tightening it and they all go out with loose right-side window regulators.  I thought I was joking, but this could actually be the cause!

Mine's under warranty, and is due a service in a month, so I'll ask them to have a look at it.  It's too hot to work outside at the moment anyway.

Not just these screws. i have removed various bits on my mpv including the driver seat and most of the fittings were not much beyond finger tight. the nuts on the driver seat were worrying - you would expect these to be tight.
Mel
Strangely I managed to stop my drivers door rattle, Well 90% of it, by messing about one day.
The window was a half open and I was ''comparing'' build quality between a VW and a Citroen with my dad. I pulled up and down on the glass a few times to the quote of ''Yeah but I bet your golf doesn't have that much play in the window that it rattles!'' (His is solid btw) and it hasn't rattled much since!
16 Plate Berlingo Multispace XTR
(13-09-2016, 12:58 PM)timb Wrote:  Hello,

The last week or so, I was getting a loud and highly annoying rattle from inside the driver side front door.

Interestingly, the rattle would only evidence itself when the window was fully closed. Opening the window stopped the rattle. A little googling and looking on here suggested it may be something to do with the window regulator. Turned out this was right - and it's easy to fix.

All you need to do is:
  5. Work your way round edge of door trim to prise outwards - releasing from plastic trim holders. This takes a bit of courage...
  6. Once door trim is off you'll see a white covering which is held on with adhesive.
  7. Near the speaker at the bottom, gently pull covering away to reveal bolt that holds regulator (I think there are four such bolts). Tighten and repeat for any of the other bolts. On mine, it was the bolt at the bottom closest to the speaker that was quite loose.

This was a great help when I decided to do mine yesterday.

Just in addition, the bolts are 10mm. At the bottom of the white covering in the middle there is a indent or nipple which is where the bolt is located.
(02-09-2017, 05:07 AM)Claydontoby92 Wrote:  
(13-09-2016, 12:58 PM)timb Wrote:  Hello,

All you need to do is:

This was a great help when I decided to do mine yesterday.

Just in addition, the bolts are 10mm. At the bottom of the white covering in the middle there is a indent or nipple which is where the bolt is located.

Emboldened by this recent post, I too had a go at sorting an increasingly annoying (loud) rattle in the drivers door.  Like all jobs like this, the first time seems the worst, but having done it successfully, I'll have no hesitation in taking the door card off again, should the need arise.

In case other members might find it useful, I photographed everything fully dismantled, working on the principle that 'it is only obvious how it comes apart once you've taken it apart' Huh

As Claydontoby92 says above, the instructions were spot on, and my rattle was also the loose bolt behind the pimple to the right of the speaker.  I had to buy 5 new clips which broke taking the card off (9 clips are needed in total).

2013 Berlingo XTR 1.6 HDi 90 (WAV)
2016 Partner Tepee 1.6 Blue HDI S/S (WAV)
2020 VW Caddy Maxi Life 2.0 TDI (WAV)