Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 4.17 Average
53 plate 1.9d wjy oil in collant header tank no water
my coolant header is full of thick oil! i only bought the van yesterday and all seemed fine at first, when i got it home i looked it over and noticed the water wasnt water just oil (thick black oil) f**ed headgasket?
Sounds like it. Sad Get a compression test done to be sure.

Commiserations mate. Always a gamble buying used.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to chronyx for this post:
  • yourplumbing
(05-02-2013, 05:23 PM)yourplumbing Wrote:  my coolant header is full of thick oil! i only bought the van yesterday and all seemed fine at first, when i got it home i looked it over and noticed the water wasnt water just oil (thick black oil) f**ed headgasket?

Bless it tho it got me home (35 miles) i have never seen anything like it in my life... im really kicking myself for not checking the water!! i was surrounded by asians and it seemed like a good deal with the exception of dodgy locks which i know i can sort but i think it needs a new engine lol which i cant do

(05-02-2013, 05:28 PM)chronyx Wrote:  Sounds like it. Sad Get a compression test done to be sure.

Commiserations mate. Always a gamble buying used.

how much am i looking at for a replacement engine? and where is a good place to buy from?
You broke chronyx's unwritten (I'm not daft) number one rule of car buying in the first paragraph there... Wink

As these engines are so basic, they are pretty cheap - £300 - £400. I don't know the labour time for the swap though. The cooling system will need cleaning and flushing but going by your username you are the man for that job anyway!
(05-02-2013, 05:37 PM)chronyx Wrote:  You broke chronyx's unwritten (I'm not daft) number one rule of car buying in the first paragraph there... Wink

As these engines are so basic, they are pretty cheap - £300 - £400. I don't know the labour time for the swap though. The cooling system will need cleaning and flushing but going by your username you are the man for that job anyway!

haha yes lol the diesel primer is leaking also and i cant find the seal part anywhere online! i should of got finance for new lol

[quote='yourplumbing' pid='36152' dateline='1360085919']
[quote='chronyx' pid='36151' dateline='1360085821']
You broke chronyx's unwritten (I'm not daft) number one rule of car buying in the first paragraph there... Wink

yep i am a fool, ive always been lucky b4 i suppose! first time i havent checked the water.. what a d**k head. anyone on here selling an engine? cash waiting
If it was me I would find a decent local mechanic, throw a to-do list at them, give them a reasonable time limit and try and get it done for cash.

As you say they are good little vans/engines but everything will give in to extreme neglect/abuse at some point.
(05-02-2013, 05:45 PM)chronyx Wrote:  If it was me I would find a decent local mechanic, throw a to-do list at them, give them a reasonable time limit and try and get it done for cash.

As you say they are good little vans/engines but everything will give in to extreme neglect/abuse at some point.

i have a mechanic coming to have a look tomorrow! i will post what he says and how much. ive got a mate who can and will do an engine swap he just doesnt touch headgasket replacements :-(
cheers for your replies
:brickwall:

It could be the oil cooler or the head gasket.
(05-02-2013, 06:15 PM)polar Wrote:  :brickwall:

It could be the oil cooler or the head gasket.

that would explain why a visual inspection of exterior of engine ie headgasket looks sweet, im just hoping the plank i bought it from just filled up the oil in the wrong place with old oil!! lol i can hope/wish
I always think its good idea to even pay at least the deposit by credit card for some protection, did you use a card ?
Former 2011 Mk3 XTR owner Confusedalut: